So So Cal

Saturday, July 6, 2013

York

I took the train from Durham to York which is about 70 miles, a very pleasant 43 minute trip.

Frank Allison was waiting at the station to meet up with me and off we went to the railway museum.

They had a special event there with 6 class A4 locomotives the world speed record holder for a steam powered locomotive, The Mallard.








Of course the exhibition hall was crowded, there were hundreds of more old steam queers like me.
Most of these guys knew the names of the riveters who put the boiler together, let alone how everything worked.

There was a lot of pointing at bits of valve gear and push me pull you links




Here I am leaning on the running gear of the Sir Nigel Gresley, he was the dude who designed the class A4 locomotives.

Thirsty work this inspecting steam locos.

So Frank and I retired to the pub to reflect and contemplate what we had just seen.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: