So So Cal

Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July

I spent 4th of July out of the US for only the second time in the thirty two years I have lived there.

In the morning I visited Washington Old Hall, the ancestoral seat of George Washington's family. There was a celebration of the 4th with school kids, a swing band, and a ceremonial flag raising.
Oh! and of course a speech by the mayor of Sunderland.

George of course never lived there, in fact his family had been in the Americas for 150 years when he became President.
Nonetheless it is his heritage.
Below is the Washington family crest.




See anything which looks familiar?





Now can you see it?








This is the center of town where in the '70s Jimmy Carter planted a cherry tree and installed a stainless steel plaque.

Today I'm off to York to the Railway museum to see the world speed record holding locomotive, Mallard. The record for a steam locomotive that is.

More soon,
Norm

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: