So So Cal

Thursday, January 13, 2011





I spent my first day in Durham adjusting to the language and the customs!
As our friend Erik from Belgium said upon arrival at Newcastle airport
"Norman, what language do they speak here?"
I went out this morning to get breakfast at about 7:00 AM and found a French (kinda sorta) restaurant with a sign on the door "OUVERT" well even my FRENCH understands that means "Open" however a young lady seated outside smoking a J said that they were not yet open. (I corrected for grammar and syntax) Really, I said, but the sign, well you know the story.
They open at 9:00 AM. OK you can have breakfast at lunch time; now you know what I mean about the customs.
Durham remains one of my favorite cities, the cathedral is 1,000 years old give or take a year or two.
I have included some of the classic views of the cathedral, and some others,enjoy.
There is a lot of renovation work (job creation) going on in the city. I have a picture of a guy operating a machine which is kinda like a backhoe only smaller.
My dog could have dug up the street quicker than this guy, and my dog works for treats!

More soon,
Norm
.

No comments: