So So Cal

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Bike Update

The Red Bike Gets Some Attention

I started on the red bike last week to change the starter motor. Girvan helped me bring it into the yard and Anne assisted in getting it up on the lift.

We used the winch to haul it up into place.



Once up on the lift I started the removal of all the bits and pieces to necessary to allow access to the starter motor.
The seat, the battery, the oil bag, one exhaust pipe, the primary cover, the ignition coils.
What a chore!

Because this is a non-stock bike you cannot go to a dealership or look up the part number.
So after a bit of Sherlock Holmes type stuff, I went to the manufacturer of the starter motor who just happen to be in Downey, just about 3 miles from the plant. I bought the new starter right from the manufacturer.

This morning I started the re-assembly, the starter and the primary cover are back in place.
The primary is filled with the requisite amount of solid gold HD primary transmission lubricant. 
Girvan brought the trans lube and engine oil back from the dealership in a Brinks truck just in case he got mugged on the way home!



The next job is to mount the battery in a temporary fashion and test the starter.

Another trip to the hardware store is looming, I need some copper washers to connect the positive cable to the starter.

More soon.

Ciao Bella.

Norm 





No comments: